Editor & Owner: Quinn MacDonald
Quinn has been with the magazine since it began as a class project in the spring of 2012 and took over as Editor in 2014. She also contributes to Megaphone Magazine and likes to blow off steam playing roller derby as The Wife of Wrath with the Eves of Destruction.
Managing Editor: Sarah Hughes
Sarah is a graduate of UVic’s Creative Writing and Environmental Studies program (April 2015) and joined Concrete Garden as Managing Editor in Fall 2015.
Associate Editor: Trina McDonald
Growing food and writing are two of Trina’s favourite things; bringing them together to contribute to a growing movement is a pleasure and a privilege. Having recently moved from Victoria to Cowichan, she looks forward to tapping into an expanding rural food scene growing just over the hill.
Samantha has been with the magazine since 2014 and graduated from the UVic Visual Arts program in 2016. Contact her for design inquiries at sweydesigns[at]gmail[dot]com
Photo Editor: Lili Stewart
Lili graduated in Spring 2017 from UVic’s Visual Arts program. Coming from a family of farmers, she is passionate about the ways in which we grow our food. She is excited to use this platform to contribute to an important movement, both critically and creatively.
Adrian is a shameless foodie, blogger, and writer. He grew up in a small town in the Interior of B.C. before graduating from the University of Victoria with a degree in English and journalism. He worked at the Martlet as a staff writer and also writes for EAT magazine.
Garden Journal Columnist: Heather Neale Furneaux
Heather is a Victoria-based writer and teacher who is currently completing her MFA in Creative Writing through UBC.
Online Editor: Ryann Anderson
Ryann is a third-year student at the University of Victoria. She is currently working towards a major in English Literature with a minor in Journalism and Publishing. She is the newest member of the Concrete Garden team.
Consulting Editor: David Leach
With decades of experience in the magazine writing business, David has been an invaluable supporter of Concrete Garden since the very beginning when it grew out of his magazine writing course. He is the Chair of the Department of Writing at UVic and the former managing editor of explore: Canada’s Outdoor Magazine. His second book, Chasing Utopia in a Divided Israel, was released by ECW Press in Fall 2016.
Editor at Large: Diandra Oliver
A feminist writer, economist, and food business pollinator, Diandra’s work is rooted in community-based research and development. She directs her impact on settler responsibility to support decolonizing activities in food work and is a co-founder of Home Sweet Home Grocery. Find her writing in publications like Shameless Magazine, Remedy Magazine, and Our Schools, Our Selves.
Thanks to past team members and supporters:
- April Garrison – Photo Editor, 2016-2017
- Kimberley Veness – Editor in Chief, 2013-2014
- Shayna Kuffert – Online Editor, 2016-2017
- Alifia Kapasi, Assistant Art Director & Photo Editor, 2015-2016
- Robert Morris – Associate Editor, 2015-2016
- Naomi Stewart – Online Editor, 2015-2016
- Hannah Golding – Photo Editor, 2014-2015
- Madeline McParland – Online Editor, 2014-2015
- Rachel Lallouz – Associate Editor, 2014
- Britny Martlin – Associate Editor, 2014
- Michael Luis – Associate Editor, Fall 2013
- Kaitlyn Rosenburg – Art Director, Fall 2013
- David Leach – Publisher, 2012-2014
- Daniel Hogg – Production Coordinator, Fall 2013 and Spring/Summer 2014
- Hugo Wong – Photographer, Fall 2013 and Spring/Summer 2014
- TouchWood Editions – Sponsor, Fall 2013
- Vancity – Sponsor, Fall 2013
- University of Victoria Sustainability Project – Sponsor, 2012 and 2013
- University of Victoria Department of Writing – Sponsor, 2012-2015
- First Choice Books – Publisher, 2013-2014